Inside the New Diamond Distribution Center
Look, pictures of Keith's trip to Mississippi this past weekend.
Not a video blog, but a photo montage of the new 600,000-square-foot Diamond distribution center in Olive Branch and many of the cool things we saw.
Some interesting facts about the new center:*
• Improved receiving: Receiving functions for weekly shipments, reorders and returns – which are currently spread out across the two Memphis facilities – will be consolidated into a single location.
• Inventory integrity: The WMS’ RF scanning functions will capture all information about the items on a given skid, allowing Diamond to better track inventory, reduce discrepancies and shortages and maximize reorder fill rates.
• Improved accuracy: Using advanced voice-directed technology, the WMS will guide Diamond personnel to the exact locations and quantities of the products needed to pick and pack customer reorders more efficiently and accurately.
• Packing list generation: The new system will create a packing list for each box of direct ship reorders and prepacks. This will enable customers to check in their reorder and prepack shipments with greater speed and ease.
• Dimensional packing: In addition to other valuable information, the dimensions of items received by the WMS are captured by the system upon receipt so that, when that item is processed as part of a shipment, the system can use that information – with the dimensions of other items in the shipment – to configure the most efficient packaging, thus reducing freight costs for customers.
*from the Official Diamond Press release.